Schedule of Events:
- Arrive in San Francisco
- Attend Point Foundation’s Fundraising Event
- Dinner at Hotel with Point staff and Board Directors
Friday & Saturday
- Interviews with Point Board Directors & staff
- Interviews with Mentoring & Alumni Program Director, Darrin Wilstead
- Departure from San Francisco
If you have any questions about Point, please feel free to contact me at 866.33.Point.
Scholar Relations & Selections Program Director
Point's Mission and What It Accomplishes:
Point Foundation, established in 2001, was initially funded by a grant from the Bruce C. Lindstrom & Carl T. Strickland. Point has funded 248 LGBTQ students since its inception. Today, the foundation has grown to 17 employees; additionally there is significant contribution by non-paid volunteers including 35 National Board Directors, 22 Regional Trustees, 78 mentors, more than 50 application readers and a numerous amount of volunteers for our various organizational committees and fundraising events that take place accross the country - all devoting their time and energy to Point. Point Foundation what it is today—the premier national LGBTQ non-profit organization designed to nurture the LGBTQ leaders of the next generation-- because of the generous support of others.
Point Foundation provides financial support, mentoring, leadership training and hope to meritorious students who are marginalized due to sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.
By identifying and supporting these scholars, Point hopes to provide a greater level of acceptance, respect and tolerance within future generations for all persons, regardless of sexual orientation, gender expression or gender identity. We honor our scholars; their leadership, their acumen, their early involvement in LGBTQ causes, and their pledge to make the world a fairer and better place for all. The Point Foundation network, which is often referred to as the Point Family, proudly prepares for our future. We have all of the essential ingredients in place and hope that you will continue your support, or join us anew, as we nourish keen and caring minds and propel them into leadership positions in countless fields of scholarship, service and entrepreneurial endeavors.
Point's Scholarship Award Provides:
- Point’s program is more than just a scholarship. Point’s program offers Point Scholars with encouragement to foster academic excellence; mentoring services for academic, professional, and personal development.
- Point Foundation provides programs that affect social change by challenging attitudes that contribute to social stigma and its resulting prejudice, which is often experienced by those in the LGBTQ community.
- Point Foundation’s academic/program year begins in July with a Leadership Conference, where past and recently awarded scholars receive intensive training in leadership development, accountability, community service guidance, and advocacy and philanthropy to the LGBTQ community. Most importantly, Point Foundation instills a clear understanding of how these attributes all relate to the community’s history and development.
- Point Foundation matches each scholar with a mentor who is a successful professional in fields such as the arts, science, education, business, law, medicine and other humanities.
- Each Point Mentor oversees the design and completion of an annual community service leadership project that is required of each scholar. Throughout the year, Point Mentors and Scholars work collaboratively to set goals and objectives that build leadership skills through service.